Monday, March 21, 2011

Damn Sugar




I didn't think I had much of a sweet tooth before I abandoned booze. ( and by abandoned, I mean pretty much altogether, unless we're out to dinner and it's too fun to swirl that glass of red. Or we visit friends and must have a margarita and cold beers by the toasty outdoor fireplace.) But, the actual giving up of booze isn't the real subject here, it's sugar. Oh, honey honey.

Sugar is my very hardest thing to give up. Because once I answer the knock on the door, sugar shoves me out of the way, busts on in, props its' boots on the table, and will not leave. Just like I cannot have just one (how do y'all do it?) glass of wine, I can't have just one cookie. I shovel four in before I've even tasted the first one. I'm certain I'm an emotional eater. And if cake didn't make me feel kind of sick after a whole piece I would have more. Pie? Yes, please. More, please. A pint of ice cream? Sure. Ack. Now I feel nauseous and guilty. Boo, hiss.

The problem is I know what sugar does when it comes over. It's that bad relationship you just keep making excuses for. "Oh, I know. Sugar wrecks me for days. But I really like it. And it said it would never do it again." or "I know I don't need eight Samoas. But I'm hormonal. And I had a bad morning. And I yelled and slammed a meat hammer on the counter to make a point. I deserve eight Samoas. Really. And I don't care." (to clarify for those of you wondering about the meat hammer; it's just a meat tenderizing mallet that Jack uses to crush up granola bars into cereal. I was making a point about finding your own shoes. I know, overkill. But yeesh, sometimes I cannot be mother of the year, sugar.)





The problem is. Well, my problem is: this doesn't happen daily. Or even what I would call all the time. Just as soon as I get all the yuck out of my system and my face starts stopping sprouting a new zit or 4 every day it's like a signal. A call of the wild. Yodle-lay-hee-hoo!!!! Like the old boyfriend/girlfriend that just won't go away. Just when I think it's safe and I'm fine, I don't need you I don't even miss you and I say those magic words..."I can't remember the last time I had sugar..." Whapow!!!! I'm in. Face first into the leftover Valentine's candy. Is this really just self sabotage? Am I afraid of success, or accomplishing an actual goal? I'm afraid I can already answer that with a yes, I'm pretty sure that's mostly all true.

What the real problem is is this: I cannot say no. I don't say it loud enough. Or with enough umph. So I can really hear myself.  I can't have just one piece of chocolate, one cookie, because I'm a people pleaser. And sometimes those people is me. So I've decided that today, March 21st, starts a month long hiatus from sugar. Holy fucking shit. March 21st seems like a good day to start something- it's the first day of spring, my dad's birthday, the vernal equinox (all about balance here) and lord, I'll be forty in exactly one month. Holy fucking shit.

Those monumental front number changing birthdays make you want to do something big. Remarkable. Different than that same old you you've been for the past ten years. Just the thought of turning forty has changed me immensely somewhat. You know how you just know, know that it's time to give something up? You think about it, the idea just nags and nags you, you cannot stop thinking about it. You get sick of yourself thinking about it. This is me and giving up sugar.

 Sugar does bad things to me. It makes me even more impatient than I naturally am. It makes me go up and down, up and down, happy and sad and mad and beating myself up while chomping on another cookie. Ugh. It makes me bloated and makes my skin grumpy. It gives me headaches and anxiety. But *tra laaaaaaa!!!* I love it. And when I'm sinking my teeth into some soft sugary concoction I do not care about all the consequences.

Oh, but I do. Inside my heart of hearts I really, really do. I cry a little on the inside and feel disappointed with myself (oh, how sucky) and wish I could go back and channel Nancy Reagan.




So, goodbye sweet friend. I'm sure your leaving will make me cranky and sad and make my face break out even more, but goodbye. Time to pack your things and go. Parting is such sweet sorrow.


4 comments:

  1. OK. I'm going to do it! I'm going to give up wine for one month. With one caveat...can I just enjoy some on my (eek) 39th birthday on the 8th of April? Should I even bother starting 'the stopping' with such a "holy fucking shit" day approaching? Would this just be another way of sabotaging success? C'est la vie.

    ...But I'm so tired of being puffy. But I am also so tired of being so tired. So tired that by the end of the day all I really want to do is get lost in the notes of a great bottle of red...riding my 'Penny Farthing'. Inevitably, that "Cab" ride makes me feel (drumroll please)....tired. Tired the next day, tired of wanting to reach for it at the end of the day, tired of it being the only thing that comforts me. But does it really? Well, No...of course not.

    Why can't I just say "NO"? I already know the answer to this question. It's because I've said 'no' to virtually everything else I'd really like to be doing. (sigh...pahrump). Is this temper-tantrum sufficient enough or do I need to put on a diaper and grab a rattle? Suffice it to say, I am inspired...once again, by you and your courage. I'm going to make this pledge by refraining from drinking wine for 30 days. On April 21st I'll celebrate my "holy fucking shit" with you and have a glass of wine. Maybe by that time I'll truly have something to celebrate...like the downsizing of my ass.

    Au revoir vino.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonja! We can cheer each other on. I gave up booze (a blog for sure, but not one I'm ready to write just yet) and feel one million times better.

    Do you think having wine is what will really make your birthday great? Or is it something else? Booze was a great way for me to escape from all the uncomfortable things I didn't want to feel. And it made me feel like shit.

    Here's my hand, sister. A helping one. One that pats you right on the back. It can make a thumbs up, and wag a finger "no". Sign language is so underrated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'll try not to bring home any sweets, this should help! If your jonesing for something really sweet, you can always suck on my thumb... I am sweet enough for the two of us!

    Love always
    JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK...I think it is time for a chest-bump.

    (insert a "Fonzie")

    ReplyDelete